Lok_Sigma has been secretly creating it, slowly cooking up with “a few” ideas to inflicted pain, with the sole purpose to create as much of an agonizing experience as possible. This was an opportunity that was just too good to pass up to be our next competition. We will be releasing the hell that is the Hades VM and the
start of the competition on the 10th April 2014, 19:02 (6:66pm) UTC. Edit: The competition has started. Happy hacking!
Edit: The competition is over! The results can be found here.
- The top prize will be a e-gift card of £50 GBP.
- Which works out to be about €60 EUR / $82 USD based upon the exchange rate at the time of posting.
- There will also be two runner up prizes of £25 GBP.
- These e-gift cards can be chosen by the selected winners.
- We will also be offering an “goodie bag” featuring an exclusive VulnHub t-shirt and of course, stickers!
- The design of the t-shirt will be custom for the competition - designs to follow at a later date.
If you wish get involved, download the VM (once its released), hack away at it until you reach the flag (cough PGP public key cough).
After you have finished writing up your finding, be sure to mail it in to us: ‘
competition at d0t co m’. For bonus points, you can encrypt the email using the same public key!
Note: please be sure to read & agree to the full set of rules at the bottom of the post.
The competition will only be active for four weeks (ending on the 10th May 2014 23:59 UTC), however the VM will stay hosted on VulnHub afterwards. We’ll will then get in touch with the lucky winners and let everyone know won via twitter within a week of it being over. Afterwards, there will be a follow up blog post with the highlights, our views and your submissions. All valid entries will be added to the walkthrough section on VulnHub (If you don’t wish for them to be added, please mention this in your email).
If you wish to publish it yourself (e.g. on your personal blog) we kindly ask you to refrain from doing so until the 11th May 2014.
If Hades keeps you up all night, or love it or hate it, be sure to let Lok_Sigma feel know about it in our IRC channel - we’re sure that it will encourage additional machines in the series!
We wish you the best of luck with hacking away at Hades!
The VulnHub Team
- One entry per person. And by submitting your entry, you agree to the rules.
- You must be 13 years old or older at the time of submission.
- The documents submitted, needs to in either a PDF, text or markdown file format (and must include proof for verification and any custom code that was created - as they will be tested!). If you choose to do a video, we will accept either; avi, mp4 or mkv file formats.
- Make sure your steps are reproducible using a “fresh” version of the Hades. If it doesn’t work for us at the time of reviewing the submission, the entry will be disqualified.
- You are not allowed to modify the virtual machine in any way prior to starting it up and attacking it.
- Performing cold boot attacks, externally mounting the virtual disk, using Live CDs/OSs or injecting into the VM will be disqualified (not this time stormtide31).
- The winners are able to choose any gift e-card based on availability at the time of purchase. Winnings will be sent to the same email address that was used for submission when their prize is ready.
- The value of the e-gift cards are £50.00 GBP (winner) and £25.00 GBP (runner ups).
- The one “winner” and two “runner ups”, will be based upon VulnHub staff member’s opinion. The judge’s (VulnHub) verdict is final.
- If no-one is able to complete the challenge in the given time frame (see point 13), the first valid submission after the deadline will get both the winners & runner up prize.
- Postage & shipping will be paid for regarding dispatching the physical items (the goodie bag) , however, if there is import tax into finalist country, it will be their responsibility to handle.
- VulnHub cannot be held responsible for any damage or lost with the posting of the physical items or how they are handled.
- The competition starts on the 2014-Apr-10 19:02 UTC, and will run for four weeks, ending on the 2014-May-10 23:59 UTC. All the times are state in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- All sales are final. No refunds. No transfers.
- The rules are subject to change without notice at any stage.
- Using and attacking Hades is done at your own risk. VulnHub or Lok_Sigma cannot be held responsible for any loss of damage caused.
- Bribes will not be accepted ;).
As defined by VulnHub staff. For a greater chance to winning, try and put as much detail into as possible, with any unique “twist” you like.↩