It’s been a while since we last posted… However, hopefully the following news will start to make up for it!
Due to the success of ‘Brainpan 1’, there has been a massive demand for a follow up (If you haven’t tried it and want to see what all the fuss is about, then grab a copy of it from VulnHub now!). We’re very happy to announce that the sequel for this great challenge, Brainpan 2, will be released on the 20th of November 2013!
At the same time, we’ll be running a small competition! Whoever writes (and submits), the ‘best1’ walkthrough, will receive £50 GBP gift card (which works out to be around €60 EUR / $80 USD at the exchange rate at the time of posting).
EDIT: Competition is over. The results can be found here.
If you wish to take part you’ll be submitting your walkthrough to Brainpan’s author, superkojiman, who will be judging the submissions and picking a winner. Please email your submission or a link to it, to the following address:
contact AT techorganic DOT com. Please see the bottom of the post for the full list of rules.
The competition will only be active for two weeks (ending on the 4th December 2013), however the VM will stay hosted on VulnHub afterwards. We’ll get in touch with the lucky winner and let everyone know that you won via twitter a week after it’s all over. Afterwards there will be a follow up blog post with our views and favourite submissions. All valid submissions will be added to the walkthrough section of VulnHub (If you don’t wish for them to be added, please mention so in your email).
If this works out well we’ll be doing more competitions; maybe even making it a regular occurrence!
We wish you the best of luck with hacking away at Brainpan 2!
The VulnHub Team
- You must be 13 years old or older.
- One entry per person.
- Any documents submitted, need to be a PDF or TXT format (must include any custom code that was written for Brainpan 2 - as they will be tested). If you choose to do a video, any format will be accepted.
- Make sure your steps are reproducible. If it doesn’t work, the entry will be disqualified.
- The winner is able to choose a gift e-card for Amazon, Apple or Google Play. This will be emailed to the winner when the prize is ready.
- The value of the gift card is £50.00 (GBP).
- The competition starts on the 2013-Nov-20 00:00 +0 GMT, and will run for 2 weeks, ending on the 2013-Dec-03 23:59 +0 GMT. All times are state in +0 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
- All sales are final. No refunds. No transfers.
- The judge’s verdict is final.
- Bribes will not be accepted.
We will be using superkojiman’s definition of ‘best’. For the highest chance to winning, try and put as much detail into your walkthrough as you can.↩